We currently are hiring!
Part-time Grocery Clerk
We are seeking an enthusiastic team member to work in our grocery department and in the front end of our vibrant community-owned grocery store.
Details: Provide an excellent shopping experience for Maple City Market customers in the areas of Customer Service, Grocery Department, Cashiering and General Store Maintenance.
- $10.68 – $11.30/hr
- 20 – 32 hours/week
- Must be able to work weekends.
- Bilingual is a plus!
*There is potential for this job to become full-time.
I. CUSTOMER SERVICE
• Assist customers with product questions, in prompt, friendly, courteous manner, referring them to
other staff when necessary.
• Wow customers with a high level of prompt, friendly, and helpful service!
• Offer suggestions for purchases and ways to prepare products.
• Help customers place special orders.
• Become familiar with co-op policies and products in order to answer customer questions. Refer
unresolved questions or problems to appropriate staff.
• Encourage co-op member-ownership and sign up new co-op member-owners.
• Answer phone call. Take and route messages as needed.
• Demonstrate understanding of products and terms such as organic, fair trade, etc.
• Be an ambassador for customer needs across the store.
II. GROCERY DEPARTMENT
• Receive product deliveries, ensuring order and invoice accuracy.
• Stock, rotate, merchandise and face product according to department procedure.
• Maintain back-stock areas according to department standards.
• Assist in other departments as needed.
• Performs other duties as assigned to meet business needs.
• Assist with product ordering at the direction of Department Manager
• Greet customers, smiling and making eye contact.
• Check out customer purchases quickly and accurately, using correct prices and departments.
• Call for back-up as needed so that customers wait as little as possible to be checked out.
• Bag customer purchases as needed and ask customers if they need assistance. For those needing
assistance, carry out groceries or call other staff if available.
• Balance cash drawer at end of shift. Open and close out registers following established
• Put stuffers in bags, inform customers of specials, membership meetings and upcoming store
Last Updated October 2019
• Issue credits to customers for returned items following co-op policy, and ensure that returns are
properly disposed of. Records shrink promptly and accurately.
• Alert manager on duty to potential shoplifters, disorderly customers or other emergencies.
IV. GENERAL STORE MAINTENANCE
• Clean up spills, remove trash promptly, break down cardboard for recycling, sweep and mop floor.
• Maintain all areas of store (interior and exterior) in clean, orderly condition.
• Monitor cooler and freezer temperatures. Advise appropriate manager of equipment problems.
Use equipment safely.
• Participate in periodic inventory counts as needed.
• Has or working toward High School diploma/GED.
• Enthusiastic and interested to work in a natural foods co-op.
• Dependable and communicative. Regular, predictable attendance.
• Able to work a variety of shifts including weekends and evenings.
• Willing to give and receive constructive criticism and praise.
• Able to self-direct, prioritize and follow through on tasks.
• Attention to detail.
• Able to serve the public in a kind, friendly way.
• Able to safely use sharp knives, box cutters.
• Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
• Able to stand, walk, stoop, be actively moving for 4-8 hrs at a time.
• Ability to work in hot or cold, dry or wet conditions.
• Able to read and interpret small-print labels or instructions.
• Able to learn and grow to meet the changing requirements of the job.
• Spanish language proficient.
• Experience in produce, grocery, customer service.
• Familiarity with natural foods
All elements of the job description listed above are representative only and not exhaustive of the tasks
that an employee may be required to perform. The employer reserves the right to revise this job
description at any time and require employees to perform other duties as circumstances or conditions of
its business, competitive considerations or the work environment change.
Click on the link below for an application.